Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Janice Hannigan Kerwin, Town Clerk
2 Douglas Street, Wynantskill, NY 12198
Duties of Town Clerk
The Town Clerk is the:
- Registrar of Vital Statistics: As Registrar of Vital Records, the Town Clerk is responsible for keeping a permanent record of all births and deaths that occur within the boundaries of the Town, as well as all marriage licenses that are applied for at our office. Birth, death and marriage records are not open to the public for inspection. For genealogical searches, death and marriage records become available fifty (50) years after the date of issuance. Birth records become available after seventy-five (75) years. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office for more detailed information.
- Filing Officer for the Town: All local laws, oaths of office, affidavits of publication, resignations, petitions, annual budgets, fiscal reports, assessment rolls, bonds, and other pertinent town documents are filed in the Town Clerk’s Office.
- Permit Issuing Agent: Issues licenses and permits for marriages, dogs, conservation (hunting and fishing), duck stamps, bingo, games-of-chance licenses, handicapped parking, peddling and soliciting, trailers, and street-openings (excavation). Under the New York State Education Law, the Clerk’s Office can issue Certificates of Residency to individuals who will be attending Hudson Valley Community College.
- Recording Secretary to the Town Board: The Town Clerk attends all Town Board meetings excluding Attorney/Client discussion and authors the minutes, which are retained permanently for legal and historic purposes. The official Sign Board for the Town is maintained by the Town Clerk’s Office and all identified meeting dates and affidavits of publication are posted on the Board as prescribed by law.
- Election Coordinator: The Town Clerk oversees all special, primary and general elections in the Town. In addition, the Town Clerk is responsible for the purchase, maintenance and storage of the voting machines and drawing of election district boundaries for Town Board approval. We work in conjunction with the Rensselaer County Board of Elections to register new voters and assist the Town’s active enrollees. Voter registration forms may be downloaded in English or en Español.
- Cash Control Officer: The Town Clerk is responsible for the collection and disbursement of funds to the state, county and local fiscal officers of all fees collected.
If you have a general question or are in doubt as to which department you may need, please call the Town Clerk’s Office. We are here to assist you.
$15.00 for Spayed / Neutered dogs
$20.00 for Non-spayed / Non-neutered dogs
Dog Licenses can be purchased at the Town Clerk’s office during regular office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Please bring your Rabies vaccination information.
Marriage License Requirements
• Both persons must come in to the Town Clerk’s office between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm Monday thru Thursday. If you need special hours because you can’t make it in between these hours, please call the office at 518-283-4306 and we would be glad to accommodate you.
• Two forms of ID must be presented — birth certificate along with a driver’s license.
• There is a 24 hour waiting period.
• The license must be used within 60 days from the issuing date.
• If either party has been married, any and all final judgments of divorce must be presented.
• License fee is $40.00, cash, credit card or checks.