NOTICE (Updated 8/18/2021)
Face masks will be required to enter the facility. Hand sanitizer is provided and social distancing will apply. Seating and courtroom capacity have been reduced for physical separation.
No entry – if you have flu-like symptoms; or tested positive for COVID; or have been directed to quarantine, isolate or self-monitor at home for the coronavirus by any doctor, hospital, or health agency; or have recently had close contact with a person testing positive for COVID; or have returned from international travel within the last 10 days unless you have recovered from COVID within the past 3 months, are fully vaccinated or have returned 8-10 days ago and have received a negative viral COVID test 3-5 days after your return. Please be prepared to provide proof of vaccination or recent recovery from COVID.
Stephanie Piel, North Greenbush Town Justice
George B. Burke, III, North Greenbush Town Justice
Court Address: 2 Douglas Street, Wynantskill, NY 12198
Court Office Number: 518-283-2789
Court Fax Number: 518-286-2336
Court E-Mail: NGreenbushTownCourt@nycourts.gov
- Court Dates: Court Notices have been mailed. If you have not received a notice, please contact the court.
- Small Claims: As scheduled by the court.
- Evictions: Submit original Notice of Petition & Petition with $20 filing fee to secure a court date. The Notice of Petition & Petition must be served at least 10 days and not more than 17 days of the court date. Original Affidavits of Service of the Notice of Petition & Petition to be filed with the court no later than 3 days prior to the court date.
- Prosecutor: Rensselaer County District Attorney Office Number: (518) 270-4040.
- Pay Fines: Cash (in person only), Money Order or Certified Check payable to North Greenbush Town Court or Credit Card Authorization Form.
- Clerk Office Hours: Monday—Thursday from 8:30am—3:45pm for payments; closed Fridays. The town office building closes at 4:00 pm.
- Court Nights: Tuesday evenings at 5:30 pm (unless you are given a Thursday evening date)
Accessibility (ADA) Services:
The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) is a federal law prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities. As defined by the statute, a person with a disability is one who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The ADA also protects people who have a history of such an impairment, or who are regarded as having such an impairment.
For information about getting disability accommodations, please call this court during business hours.
- Small Claims Guide Book
- Small Claims Application
- Traffic Ticket Plea
- Credit Card Authorization Form
- Certificate Of Disposition Request Form
NYS DIY Forms: http//www.nycourthelp.gov
NYS Unified Court System (Town and Village): http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/townandvillage/
NYS DMV: https://dmv.ny.gov/
Duties of Justice Court
The North Greenbush Town Court handles criminal matters, traffic infractions, small claims (up to $3,000), civil matters, town ordinance violations, environmental conservation, agriculture and market laws, and evictions. Town Justices also perform wedding ceremonies. To request wedding arrangements, please contact the Court Office.
- What do I do if I get a traffic ticket? First, you do not have to come into court, unless your ticket is a misdemeanor charge. If you wish to plead guilty you may sign and date “Section A — Plea of Guilty” on the ticket, mail it in and the Court will mail a fine notice back to you. If you wish to plead not guilty you may sign and date “Section B — Plea of Not Guilty” on the ticket, mail it in and the Court will schedule a pre-trial conference. Tickets should be mailed to the Court prior to your appearance date.
In order to obtain a public defender, you must be charged with a violation, misdemeanor or felony and qualify financially. The application for the public defender’s services may be obtained from the Court at your appearance. If you qualify, the Court will appoint such counsel. An attorney from Rensselaer County Public Defender’s Office will be present during court time.
In order to file a small claim in our Court, the person or corporation whom you are suing must either live, work or have an office in the Town of North Greenbush. The address you provide must be one that is located in the Town and cannot be a PO Box. The filing fee is $10.00 for claims $1,000 or less and $15.00 for claims over $1,000.00. You may file the paperwork at the court office during normal business hours. The Court may hear cases brought by DBA’s provided they show proof that they are in fact a DBA.