George B. Burke, III
2 Douglas Street
Wynantskill, NY 12198
- Court In Session: Tuesdays at 5:30pm
- Prosecutor: Rensselaer County District Attorney
- Office Hours: Monday—Thursday from 8:30am—4:30pm; closed Fridays
NOTE: No payments accepted after 12:00pm on Thursdays.
- Small Claims Guide Book
- Small Claims Application
- Traffic Ticket Plea
- Credit Card Authorization Form
- Certificate Of Disposition Request Form
Duties of Justice Court
The North Greenbush Town Court handles criminal matters, traffic infractions, small claims (up to $3,000), civil matters, town ordinance violations, environmental conservation, agriculture and market laws, and evictions. Town Justices also perform wedding ceremonies. To request wedding arrangements, please contact the Court Office.
- What do I do if I get a traffic ticket? First, you do not have to come into court, unless your ticket is a misdemeanor charge. If you wish to plead guilty you may sign and date “Section A — Plea of Guilty” on the ticket, mail it in and the Court will mail a fine notice back to you. If you wish to plead not guilty you may sign and date “Section B — Plea of Not Guilty” on the ticket, mail it in and the Court will schedule a pre-trial conference. Tickets should be mailed to the Court prior to your appearance date.
- What do I do if I get a suspension notice? You should contact the Court to determine the reason for the suspension. If the suspension is for failing to pay a fine in the Town of North Greenbush, the payment should be remitted to the Court. If your fine is paid after your suspension date there is a $70.00 fee to lift your suspension in addition to any fine that may have been assessed. If you have unpaid tickets or matters in other courts you must address the outstanding issues with such other town courts.
- How can I pay my fine? You may come to the Town Court Office at the hours listed above, including Tuesday evenings between 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm. You may also submit a money order or certified check made out to “North Greenbush Town Court” either in person or by mail, or you may bring cash to the office. The Court also accepts MasterCard and Visa, however, no credit card payments may be made by phone.
In order to obtain a public defender, you must be charged with a violation, misdemeanor or felony and qualify financially. The application for the public defender’s services may be obtained from the Court at your appearance. If you qualify, the Court will appoint such counsel. An attorney from Rensselaer County Public Defender’s Office will be present during court time.
In order to file a small claim in our Court, the person or corporation whom you are suing must either live, work or have an office in the Town of North Greenbush. The address you provide must be one that is located in the Town and cannot be a PO Box. The filing fee is $10.00 for claims $1,000 or less and $15.00 for claims over $1,000.00. You may file the paperwork at the court office during normal business hours. The Court may hear cases brought by DBA’s provided they show proof that they are in fact a DBA.
In the case of evictions and other civil matters, you should contact the Court for proper procedures and information you may need.