Notice (Updated 2/23/2021)
Court has resumed to limited in-person proceedings, subject to social distancing guidelines and courtroom occupancy limits.
Protocol: Face masks will be required to enter the facility. You may be asked to undergo temperature screening and questioning. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Social distancing will apply. Seating and courtroom capacity have been reduced to provide for required physical separation.
If you have been diagnosed or have had close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19, directed to quarantine/isolate at home, have traveled out of the state/country in the last 14 days without subsequent applicable testing or are experiencing flu-like symptoms, YOU SHOULD NOT ENTER THE COURTHOUSE. Instead, contact your attorney immediately. If you do not have an attorney, please call the Court at 518-283-2789.
If you have received an Appearance Ticket and wish to retain private counsel, your attorney may contact the Court or submit a letter of representation.
If you have a Public Defender, you may contact the Rensselaer County Public Defender’s Office at 518-270-4030. .
Traffic Infractions ONLY (not a Misdemeanor) can request a plea offer for a lesser offense by contacting Deputy Town Attorney, Hank A. Bauer, by email to: email@example.com
Stephanie Piel, North Greenbush Town Justice
George B. Burke, III, North Greenbush Town Justice
Court Address: 2 Douglas Street, Wynantskill, NY 12198
Court Office Number: 518-283-2789
Court Fax Number: 518-286-2336
Court E-Mail: NGreenbushTownCourt@nycourts.gov
- Court Dates: Court Notices have been mailed. If you have not received a notice, please contact the court.
- Small Claims: As scheduled by the court.
- Evictions: Submit original Notice of Petition & Petition with $20 filing fee to secure a court date. The court cannot accept a residential eviction proceeding filing unless it is accompanied by (1) Notice to Tenant; (2) Affidavit of Service of the Tenant’s Declaration of Hardship During the COVID-19 Pandemic; and (3) Affidavit from the landlord stating that no Hardship Declaration has been received from the tenant along with any other exhibits. Notice of Petition & Petition must be served at least 10 days and not more than 17 days of the court date. Original Affidavit of Service of the Notice of Petition & Petition to be filed with the court no later than 3 days prior to the court date.
- Prosecutor: Rensselaer County District Attorney Office Number: (518) 270-4040.
- Pay Fines: Cash (in person only), Money Order or Certified Check payable to North Greenbush Town Court or Credit Card Authorization Form.
- Clerk Office Hours: Monday—Thursday from 8:30am—4:30pm; closed Fridays
- Court Nights: Tuesday evenings at 5:30 pm (unless you are given a Thursday evening date)
- Small Claims Guide Book
- Small Claims Application
- Traffic Ticket Plea
- Credit Card Authorization Form
- Certificate Of Disposition Request Form
NYS DIY Forms: http//www.nycourthelp.gov
NYS Unified Court System (Town and Village): http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/townandvillage/
NYS DMV: https://dmv.ny.gov/
Duties of Justice Court
The North Greenbush Town Court handles criminal matters, traffic infractions, small claims (up to $3,000), civil matters, town ordinance violations, environmental conservation, agriculture and market laws, and evictions. Town Justices also perform wedding ceremonies. To request wedding arrangements, please contact the Court Office.
- What do I do if I get a traffic ticket? First, you do not have to come into court, unless your ticket is a misdemeanor charge. If you wish to plead guilty you may sign and date “Section A — Plea of Guilty” on the ticket, mail it in and the Court will mail a fine notice back to you. If you wish to plead not guilty you may sign and date “Section B — Plea of Not Guilty” on the ticket, mail it in and the Court will schedule a pre-trial conference. Tickets should be mailed to the Court prior to your appearance date.
In order to obtain a public defender, you must be charged with a violation, misdemeanor or felony and qualify financially. The application for the public defender’s services may be obtained from the Court at your appearance. If you qualify, the Court will appoint such counsel. An attorney from Rensselaer County Public Defender’s Office will be present during court time.
In order to file a small claim in our Court, the person or corporation whom you are suing must either live, work or have an office in the Town of North Greenbush. The address you provide must be one that is located in the Town and cannot be a PO Box. The filing fee is $10.00 for claims $1,000 or less and $15.00 for claims over $1,000.00. You may file the paperwork at the court office during normal business hours. The Court may hear cases brought by DBA’s provided they show proof that they are in fact a DBA.