2 Douglas Street
Wynantskill, NY 12198
Duties of Town Assessor
- Determine and maintain assessments, property inventory records, ownership and exemptions on parcels in the town.
- Locate all taxable Real Property in our town and identify the ownership of each. Establish a taxable value for all Real Property subject to taxation. List the values of all property on the Assessment Roll.
- Assist taxpayers with completing their exemption applications and determine their eligibility. Examples: Senior Citizen, Alternative Veteran, Basic STAR, Enhanced STAR, Disability, Business, Clergy, Agricultural, Non-Profit, etc. The last day for filing all exemption applications for any given year is March 1st.
Assessment Appeal Process
If you believe your assessment is incorrect, please feel free to contact the Town of North Greenbush Assessor’s Office. We will be happy to listen to your concerns regarding your assessment.
The forms available here may help you prepare for an appeal:
Requirements for Senior Exemptions
There are two exemptions available for Senior’s that are turning 65. In the year you are turning 65 these two exemptions are the Senior Citizens Exemption and theSchool Tax Assessment Relief Program for seniors called the Enhanced STAR. These two exemptions are for Home Owners whose house is their principal place of residency. The filing date for these two exemptions is MARCH 1.
The SENIOR CITIZEN EXEMPTION is available to Home Owners who are 65 years of age or older and meet certain income limitations and requirements. The total household gross income must be no greater than $37,400. This may be subject to change so that should be verified by contacting the Assessor’s office. If you qualify for this exemption you must provide us with a current year tax return or the supporting documentation for the tax return. This is not an automatic exemption and one needs to apply for this each year.
The ENHANCED SCHOOL TAX ASSESSMENT RELIEF (STAR),
- The enhanced STAR exemption is available to home owners who are 65 years or older and meet income limitations and requirements. Only one home owner needs to be 65 or older. This is known also as the Senior STAR exemption. The income is defined as Federal Adjusted Gross Income and varies from year to year. To qualify for this exemption you need to provide us with a tax return of the year preceding the tax roll or the supporting documentation for this tax return. This is not an automatic exemption and one needs to apply for this each year; HOWEVER you can apply for the voluntary income verification and the New York State Tax Department will notify the Assessors office if you qualify. If this is the case, you do not need to come to the Assessors office each year.
- The second STAR exemption is the Basic STAR exemption and this is available to Senior home owners who do not qualify for the Senior or Enhanced exemption because of their income and home owners who are under 65 years of age.If you qualify for the Senior or Enhanced exemption and you do not participate in the voluntary income verification program you may come to the Assessors office with your Income Tax and apply immediately.Please remember the MARCH 1, filing date. Your home must be your principal place of residency to qualify for these exemptions.
North Greenbush 2014 Tentative Assessment Rolls
Town Assessor FormsClick here for a list of downloadable forms available from the Town Assessor’s Office
Contesting Your Assessment in NYS Grievance BookletClick here for a PDF of the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance Grievance Booklet (201.95 KB)